Wednesday, April 18, 2012

5 years

                                                                                                  photo by Uncle Kevin Still
4-8-2012
Micah -
Today you are five years old! I know I say this every year, but I just can't believe it! It seems like each year goes a little faster and I see my little baby quickly morphing in to a little boy. . . .
What a year it has been for you! Micah, you have grown so much. And, I'm not just talking about physical growth. Daddy and I have enjoyed watching you grow and learn in so many ways this year.

One of the first things we did this year was take a special Mommy and Micah trip to Disneyland! We met Grammy, Papa, Auntie Joni, Uncle Kevin, Auntie Sarah, Uncle Josh and Maddie in California for the big event! You loved every minute of it and still talk about that trip today!



One of my favorite things about this year has been watching a beautiful friendship blossom between you and Livia. You love her so much and she loves you! It is such a joy to watch you care for her and encourage her along. She looks up to you and really depends on you for so much. The first thing she says when she wakes up is, "I want Micah"! When you come home from school she excitedly greets you at the door with a huge hug. Your bond is special. . . . .I hope you never lose that.




Another fun memory was taking you to the movie theater to see Cars 2. We bought our tickets ahead of time and I thought the anticipation was going to kill you! We've been working hard on patience this year and it has been neat to see you grow.



We also had some Boston firsts this year! You've been asking for a rides on the Swan boat and the Duck boat since we moved to Boston and this year you did both! We took Auntie Joni out for a special day in Boston and you were delighted to introduce her to the Swan boats. Later in the summer When Seth and his family came for a visit Daddy took you for a ride on the Duck boat. You took lots of pictures of Boston and they even let you drive the boat! You also went to your first Red Sox Game!





In September when we celebrated Livia's birthday we went up to the roof and released a white balloon in memory of Mia; you talk about that a lot. You're starting to recognize that this world is broken and things are not perfect. I can see that you're sad about it and you're figuring out that this was not God's intention for the world. You often remind me of how one day we'll all be together and our hearts will be full and we'll want nothing. Recently, our Pastor (and dear friend) joked about how he described heaven like a "candy land" to his kids. He did this to make a point that heaven is far greater than anything we could ever imagine. You loved this idea. Now you talk about heaven with great excitement and you just can't wait to be there! Whenever I'm sad about something you're always reminding me that we'll go to heaven one day. I love how sure you are of this great Hope we have because of Jesus.

I've given you a little more independence in the kitchen lately and you love to measure, sift and crack eggs! It's so hard for me to let you do all this on your own because I don't like the mess and I really want everything to turn out right; I've learned a little bit about stepping back and giving you some space!



You've been trying to master the monkey bars for awhile now and this year you've finally got it! You are quite proud of this accomplishment and excited to show off your skills. Sometimes you get a little tired and quit in the middle, but I can see you getting stronger and braver!



Later on in the summer we visited Grandpa and Grandma, Uncle Mark, Auntie Ashley, Ellie and Isaac and Uncle Paul and Aunt Erin in Rockford. You had a great time bonding with your cousins and hanging out with Grandpa and Grandma while we enjoyed the big city!



Another area you grew in was your ability to help me out! As we anticipated the arrival of your baby brother, Calvin, I seemed to need a lot more help with everything! You're always happy to help me out in whatever way you can. You have never told me that you can't do something and I need you now more than ever! I'm learning to give you more responsibility around the house like making your bed everyday, picking out your clothes, cleaning up your playroom and emptying some of the dishes. At this point you seem thrilled to do all these things (except maybe cleaning the playroom).


Just recently you've started playing games like Trouble and Sequence. I love spending time with you this way! You do get a little upset when somebody beats you at a game and I'm starting to see that competitive spirit come out. Lately we've been talking about how you can't win at everything.

You love to go to preschool and seem to learn quite a lot there. Daddy takes you to preschool and picks you up three days a week and this is such a special time for the two of you. Just recently you had a discussion with Grammy about how some kids at preschool seem very angry and they must not have happy homes. It's neat to see that you are making a connection between the two and it gives me confidence that you do feel happy at home. Last year's Christmas Pageant you were a shy little Donkey, but this year you played one of the Wise men with great confidence and gusto! The first thing you did when you got on stage was search the crowd for your family. As soon as you found us you excitedly proclaimed to your friend that this was your family and you waved so all could see! You also sang your little heart out for Oh Little Town of Bethlehem.

You've really stepped into the big brother role with more confidence since Calvin has arrived. It seems you and Livia have only grown closer since his birth. I'm so happy to see this and I'm sure Calvin will fit right in as he gets older.

You told me right after your pirate party last year that this year you wanted a space birthday party. I asked you about it again a few months ago and you confirmed your enthusiasm for such a party. As it got closer to your birthday you again expressed your excitement over a space theme, so we went with it and you really enjoyed yourself.

I love you Micah Bean! I love seeing you grow and learn and take on more responsibility. I can see God's hand on your life and it reminds me of how important it is to trust Him with you. As you continue to grow, I am forced to loosen my grasp a little more and it's scary. I would love to hold you close and shelter you all your life, but I know this is part of God's design. I have to relinquish control and trust that God is with you when I'm not. This year you start Kindergarten and I really can't believe it!

Happy 5th birthday!

Love,
Mommy





1 comment:

Mary Lee Moritz said...

What a precious synopsis of Micah's first 5 years! He is so blessed to have you for his mommy, Amy. I am equally blessed to have you in my life-----my beautiful, amazing daughter! I'm so proud of you.
Love you forever,
Mom